The War of the Worlds is a novel by H.G. Wells.
- Narrator - A writer living in Woking.
- Wife - The wife of the narrator.
- Ogilvy - An astronomer living in Woking, a friend of the narrator.
- Henderson - Ogilvy's next door neighbor, a reporter.
- Stent - The Astronomer Royal.
- Cousin - The narrator's cousin who lives in Leatherhead, to whom he sends his wife.
- Landlord - Owner of the Spotted Dog, an inn in Woking.
- Artilleryman - An artilleryman who befriends the narrator in Woking.
- Curate - The curate of a church near Weybridge who accompanies the narrator.
- Brother - The brother of the narrator, a medical student in London. Escapes to France.
- Mrs. Elphinstone - The wife of Dr. Elphinstone who travels with the narrator's brother and escapes to France with him.
- Ms. Elphinstone - Dr. Elphinstone's sister and Mrs. Elphinstone's sister-in-law, who also goes with the narrator's brother and leaves for France.